AFL Draft

WAFL Colts Wrap: Round Four

HBFArenaThe WAFL has been a wonderful breeding ground for AFL talent over the years and 2018 will be no exception.

Every week, Footy Prophet will be giving you the best coverage of the WAFL U/18 action.

Subiaco      4.0 7.0 12.5 13.7(85)
Claremont 3.2 6.4 10.6 12.9(81)

Subiaco received one mighty fright, but managed to preserve their perfect record in 2018 as they escaped with a four point victory over a gallant Claremont in a gripping contest at Leederville Oval on Thursday evening.

The first quarter was an open contest with seven goals kicked with the home side taking a four-point lead into quarter time.

The second quarter echoed the first with Subiaco getting a mini-break on their opposition, courtesy of Jordan Faraone, but the Tigers responded in kind, kicking two of their own through bottom-ager Anthony Davis to be right in the hunt as we moved towards the second half.

We were also being treated to two players who have been in sublime form in Subiaco’s Liam Foley and Rylie Morgan from Claremont.

Each player had 21 disposals in the first half, but in terms of who had the more impact, then Foley’s two goals were very important in such a tight contest.

As we headed into the third term, all eyes were on whether the Lions could continue their second-half dominance that they had displayed so ruthlessly, or whether the Tigers could contain them.

Both teams traded goals for the first half of the term, before Claremont signalled a clear sign of intent by kicking three goals in row by Will Stockwell, Tyron Smallwood and Lewis Henry to throw down the gauntlet to Subi by taking the lead.

Shocked into action, the Lions responded just like any good team would by kicking three goals of their own courtesy of Samuel West, Luke Foley and Xavier Peacock to somehow increase their lead to twelve points with one quarter left.

This captivating contest had one chapter left, and Claremont left no one in doubt that they had any fear of their opponent and were looking to get their season going after lowering their colours to East Fremantle last week.

The intensity of the contest was typified by the fact that we did not see a goal for the first twelve minutes of the quarter. When one did arrive, it came the Tigers way as bottom-ager Jack Buller kicked truly to trim the margin to five points.

Claremont were certainly on the front foot as they kept drilling the ball into the Lions’ defensive 50, only to be repelled time and time again. Subiaco looked to kick the steadier through Michael Georgiades with four minutes remaining, but Buller gave Claremont one last sniff by kicking his second for the term and third for the game, however they just ran out of time as Subiaco preserved their 100% record in 2018.

The game told us two things, that Subiaco are more than willing to roll their sleeves up when challenged which was illustrated by the fact they withstood 15 inside 50s in the last quarter, but only conceded two goals. It was a true four quarter test, but they managed to pass it.

Meanwhile for the Tigers, this performance showed that they are certainly more than capable of being among the elite teams in 2018.

If one statistic emphasised what a no-holes-barred contest this was, it was the tackle count that saw Subiaco amass 102 for the game, while Claremont had 77 of their own.

Luke Foley continued his from the first half, and ended the game with 36 disposals, six marks and a game-high 13 tackles.

However, he was almost matched in that category by teammate Liam Hickmott who had 12 tackles of his own to go along 18 disposals while Nathan French was important with 14 disposals, four marks, seven tackles and two goals.

Rylie Morgan matched Foley stride for stride collecting 36 disposals of his own along with six marks and four tackles, while he had strong support from Tyron Smallwood with 27 disposals, six marks, four tackles and two goals.

Swan Districts 4.4 6.7 10.9 14.10(94)
West Perth       0.1 2.2  2.2   3.5 (23)

Swan Districts responded from their second-half letdown against Subiaco last week with a comprehensive 71-point win against West Perth at Steel Blue Oval.

Swans started well and truly on the front foot with eight scoring shots to one, and 18 inside-50s to three in the first quarter as they led by 27 points.

West Perth was much more competitive in the second quarter, opening their account through bottom-ager Ben Johnson and for the most part holding their own in the term as both teams kicked two goals each.

As always, the third quarter was to be vitally important in terms of how the game would progress and so it proved yet again as Swans scored four goals to no score, courtesy of two majors each by Atem Deng and Joseph Hinder to give the home team a match-winning 55 point lead.

The last quarter was a matter of how much percentage Swans could gain and to their credit, they did not go through the motions kicking another four goals courtesy of two each to Kade Wallrodt and Jarred Cameron to the single reply by Koopah Todd for the Falcons.

It was the kind of response that the Swan Districts coaching staff would have wanted, while for West Perth, it was a very tough day at the office only kicking three goals for the game and totalling a solitary behind in the first and third quarters.

Swans dominance came from their superiority in inside 50s (50-31) which led to 16 more scoring shots for the game (24-8).

Mitchell Bain had another strong game for the home team amassing 29 disposals, nine marks and four tackles.

Atem Deng was a key target in the forward 50 with three goals and three marks from his 16 disposals and Joseph Hinder was strong support with three goals along with seven marks.

For the Falcons, Nathan Murray tried his heart out all day as usual with 28 disposals and four marks.

Perth.        2.3 4.6 7.13 10.15(75)
East Perth 1.1 4.1 6.2   8.2 (50)

It wasn’t always pretty but Perth dug deep when it counted to record their third win of the season, a 25 point win against East Perth at Lathlain Park.

The first quarter saw Perth dominate the forward 50 entries (13-4) and scoring shots (5-2) but they only led by eight points.

The wasteful trend continued for the home side in the second term as they continued to launch the ball into the danger zone, but were not able to convert their opportunities.

Conversely, East Perth made every opportunity count kicking three goals for the term and were only five points in arrears at the long break despite having only 11 inside-50s for the first half. (Perth had double that figure with 22).

The third term saw Perth look to break the game open as they kicked two goals through Zac Casey and Elijah Taylor, but the Royals were just as strong in their response courtesy of Ashley Willcocks and Reuben Pasalich, but a goal on the siren to Ian Hill pushed out the lead to 17 points at three-quarter time.

Taylor got his second for the game early in the last term, but the dogged Royals looking for their first win of the season hit back hard again through Harley Sparks and Ben McGuire.

However, like they did all game, the Demons had all the answers and sealed the four points courtesy of goals to Casey and bottom ager Mitch McLIheney.

In reality, Perth should have won the game by a far greater margin when you see that the Demons has 69 more disposals (298-229), 32 more forward 50s (58-26) and 15 more scoring shots (25-10).

Perth’s effort was typified by the likes of Simon Hayward ( 12 tackles), Luke English( 11 tackles) and Ian Hill (10 tackles), while Sydney Stack had 24 disposals and seven tackles.

Jarrod Hamer-Matthew was very strong in the contest for the Royals with 12 tackles to go along with 12 disposals and a goal, while Damon Greaves was prominent with 24 disposals and eight tackles.


East Fremantle    0.3 2.7. 4.12 4.12(36)
South Fremantle  4.2 5.4 7.4  11.8 (74)

South Fremantle claimed the bragging rights against their arch-rival with a 38 point win against the Sharks at East Fremantle Oval.

The game was played in stormy conditions as Perth received their first dose of rain in over three months.

The greasy conditions meant that goals would be at a premium and the team with the best-wet weather skills would prevail.

The Bulldogs clearly took the honours in the early stages with top-ager Thomas Weston kicking two goals and Luke Moore and bottom-ager Manfred Kelly each kicking one.

Trey Ruscoe opened the Sharks account early in the second quarter, but Eric Botha responded to give the Bulldogs back their four-goal advantage.

A late goal by Zach Wilkinson cut the margin to 15 points at the long break, but they would have been disappointed not to have made more of their 24 inside 50s for the half.

Botha and Weston were proving a real headache for the Sharks backline each adding to their goal tallies in the third term.

East Fremantle’s inaccuracy would have been infuriating to all concerned, but a late goal to Dillon O’Reilly cut the margin to ten points with one quarter to play and the Sharks were well in the hunt for their second win in 2018.

However, the final quarter was a procession for the visitors as the Bulldogs kicked 4.4 to 0.0 to run out 38 point winners and record their first win for 2018.

The efficiency was a true tale of the game with East Fremantle recording 50 inside-50s, 13 more than the Bulldogs, but only kicking four goals for the game.

Thomas Weston was a key figure in the contest kicking four goals from his nine disposals, while Luke Moore was great all day with 23 disposals, nine marks, six tackles and one goal.

For the Sharks, they were led by the effort of Milan Murdock who had 21 disposals, 14 tackles and a goal.


Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Become a Footy Prophet!

Most Popular

To Top